Customers should consider the following information when buying Lowa Boots:
- Lowa says their boots are made specifically to the measurements found on a Brannock Device. The measuring tool you see in most shoe stores and is pictured on the left.
- Most American customers find Lowa boots to run a tad small and/or narrow. This is based on our experience fitting customers here in our Vermont store. If you haven't recently stepped on a Brannock device, we like to recommend that customers go with the larger size option when in doubt.
- If your feet are on the wider side--a D/E or larger--you should buy from styles with a wide size option. Wide boots not only increase the lateral measurements of the boot, but provide larger overall volume. Please note that not all Lowa boots come in a wide model.
- Each hiking and backpacking boot style may feel a bit different based on things like:
- ankle height; the higher up on the ankle it goes the more stiff it will feel,
- rubber rand; if there is a rand all the way around the boot there will be less breaking in,
- type and thickness of the shank; a thicker shank equates to less boot flex, and
- leather lining; at first leather lining may feel "puffier" but ultimately it molds to the shape of your foot for a custom feel.
- While some similar Lowa boots are made on the same last, many have different lasts. Generally Lowa backpacking boots tend to have a more generous fit.
- In general, each ½ size of a Lowa boot brings ½ inch of extra length.
- Often we recommend that customers buy a ½ size bigger than their US size when buying Lowa boots. Consider a wide-fit model if you tend to notice pinching on the sides of your feet or otherwise buy wide shoes.
For more background about how backpacking boots are made and general sizing and fit recommendations, check out our HIKING BOOT FIT GUIDE page.
READY TO SHOP for your new Lowa boots? Find the latest styles at Lowa Hiking & Trekking Boots
In the end everyone's feet are different--and often each foot is different--so the only truly reliable way to know how a boot fits is to try them one. So we offer a 60 day return policy. Keep the packaging intact and the tags on and try them around your house.