Located right above the Nao 2's two LEDs is a sensor capable of measuring ambient light, and smart enough to adjust the beam strength and pattern according to the light conditions, specially aiming to give you the optimal amount of light without using up more battery power than necessary . For instance, if you happen to look right ahead on a dark, moonless night, the Nao 2 is capable of shining your path with a high-power, long-distance beam . Should the situation change and you feel lost, pulling out the trekking map from your pocket to go over it, it will cast a wide, low-power beam . This means you get to enjoy the right amount and type of light you need, without having to fiddle around with certain kinds of adjustments to achieve such an effect.
Petzl's REACTIVE Lighting technology will replace the current headlamps with "declining" mode and "constant" mode . The declining mode type maximizes a headlamp's burn time through the gradual lowering the amount of light output, and as light output decreases over time, declining-mode devices will deliver the least amount of light in the darkest conditions . With constant mode, a constant light output sounds great, but it is drains your batteries . Reactive Lighting merges both strategies in a single solution, offering the right amount of light as and when you need it.
The Petzl Nao 2 Headlamp is featured in Outside Magazine's Essential Gear Guide . Says Outside Magazine: "Who says you have to take off your gloves to adjust your headlamp ? Sensors in the Nao 2 automatically adjust the amount of light to what you're looking at."
Features of the Petzl Nao 2 Headlamp with Reactive Lighting
- ZEPHYR headband: Lamp is stable on the head with the ZEPHYR adjustable headband
- Lockable multi-function ON/OFF switch: Allows the user to easily change modes
- High Power LEDs: Wide beam for proximity lighting, focused beam for distance vision
- Light sensor: Measures incoming light
- Reactive Lighting produces brightness of 575 Lumens
- Non-adjusting Constant Mode produces brightness of 430 Lumens
- Programmable settings allow user to regulate beam length from 157 to 354 ft (80 - 135 m)
- Maximize single charge efficiency from 8 to 12.5 hours
- Battery level indicator light tells you when battery strength is low
- USB cable for recharging: included (compatible with all USB chargers)
- Water-resistant: suitable for all-weather use (IP X4 rating)
- Tiltable housing
- Streamlined, adjustable strap to adjust fit for varied head/hat sizes
- Removable top strap included for greater stabilty
- Light Type: Self-adjusting
- Beam: Wide and/or focused
- Powered by rechargeable Lithium-Ion 2600 mAh rechargeable battery (included) or 2 AAA or LR03 batteries (not included)
- Weight (with Lithium-Ion batteries): 6.6 oz
- Water resistant to -30 cm